Monday, August 1, 2011

John's Attempt To Get Less Fat, update 4

Well, thing's don't always go as planned and despite a conservative running schedule, it seems both Kelli and I have sustained some over training injuries.

I don't know if it's shin splints, muscle fatigue or what but we called off our last two training runs last week and we're not going to the gym today. Just sitting or lying down seems to be causing leg pain for both of us, but I think it's healing slowly.

With running/walking off the table, we're hitting the pool at our apartment today. I figure swimming til I can't swim any more will at least keep up our cardio and will still help with the weight loss.

With no Friday at the gym I don't have a weight update but a Skyline Chilli day and two days off working out probably didn't help.

It really is a shame we've had to stop. Today's training run was supposed to be the toughest yet, two five minute runs. I had it circled on my calender. The key now, if possible, is to get back on track in a little more than two weeks. The first mile run was scheduled for Aug. 17.

Speaking of that, if we're not close to back on track by then, we may not do the Harvest Home 5k. I don't want to make excuses, but I don't want to embarrass myself. I'm on pace to finish in more than 1 hour as it is, if I can't heal my legs and cut that time down to less than 60 minutes, I'll look for a late Sept. maybe October 5K.

I joined Runner's World online forums and have found good advice and support there.

Next up is to get through this week, swim as hard as I could have run, buy some running shoes and either Friday or next Monday attempt to get back into the training.

Today's workout: Swim as many laps as possible in the apartment pool.


Mahalo

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear :( I had MASSIVE shin splints after walking my first 5k. I thought I was dying. It took nearly a month of barely walking and absolute no running. Decent (we're talking 120 dollars for my pair and 140 for Caleb's) running shoes - we went to a place in Lansing that specializes in all things running.
    We start our three five minute runs today. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help - you're doing great, cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shin splints, egh. Sorry to hear that, buddy.

    I know you said this 5k thing was the best way to motivate yourself, but maybe you should throttle back a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I have scaled back a little, but not enough. In fact, after today, (ping pong day), I'm fairly certain I'm done.

    I believe my attempt to get less fat clashes with the natural order of things but still I will persevere, I just may have to schedule a different 5k.

    My legs, shoulder and other now seemingly chronic ailments have won this round.

    ReplyDelete