Monday, July 18, 2011

John's Attempt To Get Less Fat, update 2.

I know we've got more important things to get to such as my previous heresy, the nature of God and truth and my opinions on things, but it's Monday so instead it's the fitness update.

So my total weight loss since beginning the workout process is now about 13 pounds. For those keeping score at home, that's 11 pounds the week I borrowed my Dad's shakes and about two pounds in the three weeks since. Taking my Dad's mantra though, any time the scale says you've lost weight it's a good day.

I can't really see a difference in my appearance yet but I am wearing a tighter fitting shirt I usually don't bother with and it feels pretty OK, so that's something.

Kelli and I completed the first week of Couch to 5k training, actually taking the training outside on Friday, and here's what we learned.

*This is a really ambitious goal for us....like really really ambitious. But we're not giving up.

*Running outside on concrete during our first week was probably a really bad idea. We we're both practically unable to stand up sore after that while we survived the same distances on the treadmill no sweat.

*I can run. Not long, not fast and not far, yet. But last week marked the first time since high school I can say I went for a run. It hurt, but for the few moments before the pain really kicked in, I felt a twinge of my body remembering what it used to be able to do. It will be interesting to see how much of it comes back.

We also learned the course layout.


Anyway I don't know if I'll really be able to run a whole 5k at this point but I plan to run until I can't and walk, roll or crawl the rest. Finishing a 3.1 mile trek on foot is no easy thing for me.

What else.... Ping pong resumes tomorrow after a week off. Me vs. Todd as usual but the boss (Jason C.) is coming to play as well and another co-worker (Richard) is probably coming to watch.

Todd annihilated me last time out, getting revenge for the whooping I gave him the week before.

Also, I've decided to kill weight training for now. All cardio until the 5k is over.

Weighing in on the scale at the Y today after a weekend that included bar food, steak, ribs and pizza isn't likely to go well. Must eat better on the weekends.

That is all. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. That track is long. And it goes by my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's 3.1 miles they say, Fiiiiiive kilometers.... Gonna be killer but I ran for half of a mile yesterday so we're coming along.

    ReplyDelete