Monday, July 11, 2011

John's Attempt To Get Less Fat, update 1.

Ok so because I lack the energy to write good blogs that often I'm dedicating Monday's to a series we'll call John's Attempt to Get Less Fat.

I've gotten pretty good on walking a mile in an air-conditioned gym on a flat treadmill but the other day I took a walk with the beautiful Kelli and managed to walk the outdoor walking track near a park by our apartment all the way through. I'd walked it before and needed two breaks. This is clear progress and it has me inspired.

So in the last fitness related blog I said I wanted to run a 5K within a year. Well I decided to balls up. I'm going to do a 5k on Sept. 11, exactly two months from today. Kelli is going to do it as well, cause she's awesome.

I haven't decided if I'll be running or walking but I'm leaning toward running. I found a program called "Couch to 5k" that takes exactly two months and I think I can do it. If I can't run, no big deal, I still have 9ish more months to run one.

The weight loss has held steady (Lost one more pound) so I still weigh 324 (down from 336). If all goes, well I'd like to be sub-300 by race day.

As for the race, learn more here (http://www.harvesthomefair.com/events/5k/) Its the Harvest Home 5k through Cheviot.

So my workout plan looks like this.
Mon: Couch to 5k program
Tues: Ping pong with Todd from work
Wed: Day off/light non-walk/run workout
Thurs: Couch to 5k program
Fri: Couch to 5k Program
Sat: light walk/swim
Sun: Off day.

Ambitious? Yes but I already hit the gym 3 days a week most weeks so I think I can do it.

Today: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Each week that increases until you jog for 3 miles. I'm staring at the gym but intend to move to outside training for the last 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, that's the plan. Wish me luck and keep me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment