Friday, March 4, 2011

One of the millions of moments sports didn't matter

Most of the time, the minutes preceding someone's sudden death are ordinary. Men are shoveling snow when BAM heart attack. A woman can be driving her kids to school and BOOM, car wreck.

Very rarely are the moments preceding a sudden premature death the subject of news footage. Wes Leonard however fits that bill.

The junior, who happened to be his high school's quarterback during football season, led Fennville to a come from behind victory over Bridgman High School, sealing the deal with a game winning layup. The win gave his team a perfect 20-0 season

You can watch that here and read a news story.

Athlete dies after hitting game winning shot

But as the name of the link implies, those happy moments were the last of that young man's life. He collapsed shortly after during the celebration and could not be resuscitated.

We've all been in some situation where we were really happy and then some kind of hammer dropped to ruin everything, and that's awful.

For fans of that school, this was like that times 10. For his friends and family, it was like that times infinity.

I don't know the boy, know nothing about him outside the 4 or 5 stories I just read, but it's a shame when someone dies that young, even if he likely died happy.

As sudden death often does it reminded me of the bible verse "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour." Which after looking up I know is Matthew 25:13.

And that's true across all faiths. We don't know when we will die. So if you're concerned with worldly or spiritual things, I suggest to all the importance of keeping your affairs in order.

I recommend Catholics to go to confession as often as possible (a task I'd do well to follow) and for everyone of my friends to not hold grudges or leave off angry with people you care about. This crappy notion on TV of I just want to be mad for a while is garbage, you may not have a while.

A protestant evangelist came by the house the other day while I was at work and asked Kelli, "If you died today are you 100 percent sure you would go to heaven?"

I think such a claim is a bold imposition of our judgment for ourselves on God but that's not the point. A similar question to an atheist or agnostic would be "If you died today could you be 100 percent sure you left things they way you'd want them?"

Tell the people you care about how you feel, follow God's commandments and remember that no one knows the day or the hour.

Scary stuff I guess, but it's life.

9 comments:

  1. I disagree with the gist of this.

    Fear of death shouldn't dictate how a person runs their life. If it does, than I think there's no better guarantee that you'll live a bland, unremarkable life.

    Living a good life is bound to cause some turbulence with yourself, your family and your friends. Striving to keep everything "neat and tidy" and in a steady state of constant adequacy is a bad way to go about things. Don't compulsively avoid risk. Embrace it.

    Apparently this story has made you consider your own mortality, but I think you're going off half-cocked here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I see that same lack of knowing how much time we have as a reason to take risks as well.

    We shouldn't fear death, we should fear dying in the wrong state. In the Catholic mindset I mean in a state of sin but from another view it could be in a state of regret over this or that.

    We should strive to live moral lives while we can and there's no reason to risk dying in a bad state with one's friends, family etc. With communication, explanation and forgiveness, one never has too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, John. I'm not a Catholic; and I'm not an evangelist. But, as a run of the mill protestant, I know I'm going to heaven. How do I know? Because, as imperfect as I may be, someone died on my behalf about 2000 years ago to cover me. About the best I can hope for is that I don't abuse that sacrificial leap of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A protestant evangelist came by the house the other day while I was at work and asked Kelli, "If you died today are you 100 percent sure you would go to heaven?"

    I think such a claim is a bold imposition of our judgment for ourselves on God but that's not the point."

    I agree, it does seem like a bold imposition. I also think that belief in the popes' ability to make pronouncements ex cathedra is also an imposition of human judgement on God. However, I give you a pass on that since you have clearly and unambiguously stated your beliefs in Catholic teachings and dogma to be ultimately based on faith. Well and good. That's your faith.

    So when a Protestant (probably Baptist) states his own deeply held belief that's supported by some scripture, it's OK for you to view it as illegitimate, apparently because of your own judgements about what seems to make sense and what doesn't. You DO NOT seem to be saying "that doesn't jive with my Catholic beliefs". Such a statement (while 100% honest) would be obvious, and unnecessary. You definately seem to be criticise his belief on the grounds of some personal and independent brand of reason based theology.

    Why can't you just be honest and open about your beliefs, and why you hold them ALL THE TIME?? When on the offense against the "silly" beliefs of others, you ditch Catholicism like so much dead weight, and attack by other means. Later, when on defense you run and hide behind Big Daddy Rome and his theological fortress.

    You view that man's beliefs as wrong because it is opposed to Catholic dogma. But you pretend to oppose it because it seems silly. You do this because you want it to have a greater impact for your audience (you have admitted this to me). But that IS a lie, even if you may think it's a white lie. You expect us to share your judgement on others, even if the REASON for that judgement is completely different between us. This is morally wrong...

    Once again, I cite you for GROSS HYPOCRISY AND DUPLICITY. How do you plead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. From my point of view, which is Catholic dogma, that view is "silly."

    I don't see the problem man. But when talking about matters of faith I can still utilize reason is discussing these matters though I fully admit my position is founded on faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "From my point of view, which is Catholic dogma, that view is 'silly.'"

    If you had been that clear about the matter from the get-go, I would have nothing to say. That sentence gives a very different impression than this one:

    "I think such a claim is a bold imposition of our judgment for ourselves on God"

    This gives the impression that you're criticising on grounds separate from your own faith. The language is shadowy and vague. A person who knows you well would know that you come from a catholic perspective and that's why you see this as silly. Someone who doesn't know you well is invited to criticise this protestant point of view on other, perhaps secular, grounds.

    Now, after the fact, you have clearly stated your position, so I drop the charges. However, I suspect you intentionally left this language ambiguous, which if true, shows a bothersome lack of concern with honesty and transparency. I urge you to be clear about such things in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think from any perspective but my own. U give my conspiracy ability to much credit. I thought nothing of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Conscious or no, I know in my heart of hearts that you are playing this thing fast and loose, and I'm going to keep you honest, John. Because that's what good friends do.

    The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. CRIME DOES NOT PAY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerry I'm sorry I never got around to responding to you.

    You seem to be of the belief, as are many protestants, that Christ's death paid the price for all sins ever and that therefore everyone goes to heaven. Some protestants throw in a catch that gives heaven to everyone who accepts Jesus.

    I pose to you this.

    If rejection of God is a sin, and one chooses to reject God, will they go to heaven or hell? If Christ's death paid for that sin then aren't they bound for heaven?

    Also if that is the case, there is very little motivation for the world to live as Christians when the Charlie Sheen lifestyle still leads to salvation.

    Also, why does the bible instruct us on how to live? There are definite passages in scripture that appear to grant salvation to all who accept Jesus, but there is also "He who endures to the end will be saved" or "See then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off."
    (Matthew and Romans are the books where I found those)

    Also there is the Garden. Most protestant theology I've read goes something like this. "We did nothing to merit God's grace and salvation, so once it is granted to us (when one accepts Jesus) we can do nothing to demerit it."

    But if one looks at Genesis we see God isn't in the business of operating like that. Adam and Even did nothing to merit paradise. It was created and given to them. But then they sinned, and they were cast out. Of course Christ hadn't died for sins at that point, but how could he have, that was the first sin.

    I believe that somehow for a strong few total assurance can be possible but even the bible says ‘Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord" shall enter the kingdom of heaven’ (Matt. 7:21)."

    ReplyDelete