Monday, March 7, 2011

Full disclosure

As my good friend Dungy has pointed out to me on more than one occasion, people might think I use something, something, reason when really something, bla, bla faith, when they read this blog.

I think I should clear up any confusion.

As such I've decided to write a blog offering full disclosure into the insights of this blog's author -- me.

First the facts.
Name: John Michael Stegeman (Confirmation saint: St. George)
Birthplace: Cincinnati, Ohio
Marital Status: Married (Kelli Stegeman)
Current Residence: Lexington, Kentucky
Religion: Roman Catholic
Income: Less than $35,000

Education
High School: Elder 1999, Western Hills High School 2000-2002
College: Shawnee State University
Degree: B.A. English, minor in journalism

Basic Career info
Current job: Project Manager, IMG College
Last job: Sports Editor, Portsmouth Daily Times
Other: Worked at Kings Island, Media Play, Riley's Furniture and the SSU Library.

For the record my favorite color is blue, shrimp is my favorite food (crab legs is second) and I enjoy a good nap.
-------

If anyone wants to read this blog they may do so, in fact I encourage it. But you should know the point of view of the writer, why he is writing, and what his interests are.

I blog a lot about religion (my top interest) and politics (No.2). Sometimes sports (No.5ish) will creep in but more likely when it isn't one of the top two, it will just be something I find funny or interesting.

The reason I blog now is because I no longer have a writing job. I like my new job, but I don't like not writing. I have an ego as a writer and I like to have an audience. This blog's following, no matter how small, provides that.

I hope one day (years away) to narrow the focus of this blog, maintain and gain more readers and maybe transfer the blogging success into something else (Book deal, writing job, etc.)

If I am writing on politics I will often attempt to see both sides of the story but let's face it I'm a conservative. Consider that when reading political entries.

More than political affiliation I am a Roman Catholic. I'm not very good at living the life but I know a lot about the Church and I believe it to be the one true Church of Jesus Christ. On that note I'm not all about bashing people over the head with that and you may find I'm quite ecumenical. Still it is my belief and you should consider that when reading religious entries.

Also I think Cincinnati is a an awesome city and talk it up more than I should, I actually miss living in Portsmouth, Ohio sometimes despite it's awfulness, I was raised by Catholic parents in what you might call lower middle class surroundings and Twix bars are among my favorite candies. I like beer, whiskey, rum and a good cigar (hell even a bad one sometimes).

I don't know what else to say but in the interest of full disclosure I should just add that this blog isn't journalism, it's a blog. Never trust a blogger implicitly, even one like me who used to be a journalist. Fact check what I say and if you want call me out when I'm wrong. That sort of this can be fun.

So that's the gist of it. Please come back tomorrow and the next day and tell your friends to do the same. After all, what's a writer without readers?

9 comments:

  1. For the benefit of those can't read between the lines of John's statement regarding his faith, let me expand on it - in the interest of full disclosure, of course.

    I will try to restrict myself to only things which John has personally stated or confirmed explicitly and clearly.

    John's belief in God is naturally rooted in personal faith, but it's important to remember that he has made a commitment to the Catholic Church and has accepted the doctrines and traditions of that Church. This is a serious commitment, and is non-negotiable. John is not some sort of modern Deist who shapes his own faith based on personal judgements about what seems right and what doesn't. John accepts the Catholic doctrines, period. These are not to be considered "a la carte", they may not be periodically reevaluated by the individual. This is the one and only "Truth" that was "given to us long ago" and passed in an unending chain from Peter to Benedict XVI.

    It is important to keep this distinction between judgement and doctrine in mind. Judgements may change but doctrines do not.

    The distinction is important because it might seem like John is inviting personal judgement on a religious subject. If so, it's all on your end. John has his Catholic doctrines which he must adhere to, without further consideration. Rational discussions on faith-based topics are for your benefit only. John has told me that he uses logic as a way of "reaching out" to help people come to the conclusions that he holds. He has also admitted to me that there is no argument, no matter how well crafted that would persuade him away from his faith (and the doctrines to which they are tightly bound).

    So.. John enjoys talking religion. I'm sure he would also appreciate your comments. But do not allow yourself to believe that the discussion is a two way street. It is, in fact, his way of influencing YOU to bring you to the Truth that he has already accepted through faith. If you are dissatisfied with your own views and are open to getting some new ones, you should read the religious topics and participate. If you have your own view that you would like to share, don't hold out hope of influence. That position is filled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry John,

    I know you are sensitive when it comes to being "attacked," but I have to agree with Dungy on the matter. Anyone who has bothered to read our 10,000 word conversation should know how....dedicated.... you are to your beliefs.

    I take it that this particular blog entry is meant to be a disclaimer of sort. However, you've managed to half-ass the attempt. Why not just come out and say what you really mean? Why not just tell your readers that most of your beliefs (particularly the most important ones) are set in stone and cannot be altered by any amount of rational discourse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dungy is accurate but incomplete in his assessment. Church doctrine does not cover all things and the catholic faith is not as rigid as most believe. I cannot turn to doctrine to know everything. Nevertheless I don't believe that only deists and atheists are capable of genuine dialogue on faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't see matt's comment before. It seems my friends believe that having found much of what I was looking for is a bad thing. My beliefs color my perspective as everyones do. My faith doesn't tell me who to vote for per se. It doesnt tell me how to feel about things and it doesnt tell me what is right or wrong in every situation. For that I have a conglomerate of my faith, judgement and reason. I'm no drone, kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm honestly and sincerely not trying to disparage your beliefs. What I am trying to do, sincerely and directly, is to make your position clear, since (in my judgement) you often fail to do so out of the gate, and I have to twist your arm to get you to state it clearly.

    There's no shame inherent in having a number of clear positions on religious matters dictated by your Church. But unlike some (protestant evangelicals, say) who unabashedly state the faith-based roots of their position, you'll sometimes state your position without stating WHY you believe XYZ. By not consistently stating WHY you believe XYZ in every instance, you invite people to guess the root of your particular beliefs (reason alone, personal religious interpretation, church doctrine or a mix).

    When I confront you about this, you bristle and get defensive. Why? I suspect you you don't want to sound like an inarticular evangelical, by saying something like "I believe this because my Church tells me so", but I'm sorry, sometimes that is the plain truth. You do believe a number of things because your church tells you so, and you DO HAVE A DUTY to be clear about that with people. As we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fair enough sir, but I don't think everyone leads off their thoughts with a full counting of the background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...

    You know that's not what I'm asking for.

    You resist this every step of the way. And you refuse to accept any responsibility or ownership. Just deflect, deflect, deflect, and paint yourself always in a 100% innocent and persecuted light. Is it so much to ask you to share your reasons for a particular position? When you repeatedly neglect to do so, is it so unreasonable to think you're possibly avoiding it?

    If you held yourself to a rigorous standard of honesty and transparency, I wouldn't have to do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John,

    Perhaps "most" was a bad word choice on my part. What I particularly had in mind were your faith-based beliefs. You, Dungy, and I all know that there exists no means to alter your conclusions on such beliefs. So why not just come out and admit it?

    You told your readers you are a Catholic; you told them this would influence your stance on a lot of topics. So why not go the extra mile and tell them that it is virtually impossible for them to change your mind on faith-based issues?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not resisting. You are both right as my faith stands now.

    I don't see me losing that faith anytime soon and I'm not asking for this but like anyone my beliefs can be chipped away at like everyone else. A seed of doubt can grow to be quite a big problem.

    But as it stands today, yesterday and probably tomorrow, you are 100 percent right. My Catholic beliefs are fixed non-negotiable positions on firm matters of doctrine.

    ReplyDelete