Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stuck in the Middleton with you

So today's topic is the Royal Wedding of Prince William of Wales to Miss Kate Middleton.

I don't really like our nation's fascination with this, but I understand it to a degree. I was also annoyed with the American obsession with Princess Diana's death as I didn't see what it mattered. Now I think I see it a little more clearly.

We don't have a king, queen or real royalty — and part of us wishes we did.

We chose to replace our fascination with the nobles with Kim Kardashians and Paris Hiltons and other such folk of anything but noble birth. The celebrity culture filled our gossipy void for a very long long time.

But I think America's collective conscience regrets that deeply. Sure it was fun at first. We made celebrities out of self made millionaires, talented actors and athletes and people of some merit. None of that famous just for being high born crap going on over here in the Colonies....

But here we are and after a couple centuries the pendulum has swung far the other way. We've made celebrities out of people who have sex in front of a stationary night vision camera or guys who put women through a million hoops to end their bachelorhood.

Yeah Albert Pujols is famous, so is Tom Hanks, but neither have the name recognition of Snookie....an unattractive, drunken whore from MTV's Jersey Shore who's claim to fame is getting punched in the face in a bar.

So I guess when one stops to think about it, wouldn't it be nice to go back to reading about whether or not Morning Coats will be allowed as appropriate dress for the wedding, thinking about how cool it would be to have the respect that comes with being called a king, or for girls dreaming that one day they'll find out they're really a princess.

Hell Kate herself is the daughter of a couple of airport employees. To a british girls growing up, that could be her one day. American girls have Miley Cyrus.

I don't much like monarchy as a government but the existence of a noble class that at least tries to live up to a higher standard in the public eye seems pretty nice. The royals, though just as human as you or I, remind England of a more civilized time and at least try to be some kind of role models.

I can tell you this, I won't watch the royal wedding and unless something dramatic happens I'll probably skip most of the news coverage. But while I'm thrilled and happy to live in a democracy, I am a little jealous.

But hey we're not completely devoid of royalty, there is Lord Dunglemagne and Emperor Sullobog, may they live forever.

Sincerely,
His non-royal projectmanagerness,
John I

1 comment:

  1. A whore named Snookie has more name recognition than Tom Hanks?

    ....we're in a lot of trouble.

    I think it's time to turn the television off.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

    ReplyDelete