Friday, February 11, 2011

More important things....

I was going to blog about illegal immigration activist today but something far more important strikes me now.

I have been immersed in discussions about faith, God and morality the past month or so and it's week's like this one I am reminded why this matters to us at all.

Humanity has long been obsessed death and what happens after we die. An argument non-theists make is that our obsession with God spawns from a fear of death and a need to believe that our loved ones are not gone when they die, and that our own existences won't end either.

I agree with them on a point. If it weren't true, I'd still want to believe it.

But I'm a Christian, and to me, this life isn't the end.

It's secure in that knowledge that those who have died in this world have gone on to the hands of a merciful God for judgment.

Last night, though I still lack details, Courtney Clifford, 28, of Portsmouth, Ohio died. I had heard she was back in hospice care as a result of a lengthy battle with ovarian cancer.

Courtney was a local activist for ovarian cancer and was the daughter of Portsmouth High School football coach Curt Clifford. She was also quite the athlete herself in her day.

Courtney's Obituary


Someone who knew Courtney better than I will eulogize her better. Someone who still works at a newspaper will put down her life in print.

But I did want to mention her in this blog. I wanted to say that I met her three times, spoke to her on the phone twice. I interviewed her for a story a few months back that you can read at the bottom of this.

In that brief period of time I learned that Courtney wasn't one of those young cancer patients that people build up into a hero whether they deserve it or not.

She was one who earned that distinction. She lived a great deal in 28 years, and stared death in the face for a long time. I was impressed and I ask all of you to pray for her soul and for the comfort of her family.

Here are a couple articles written about her:

Clifford raising awareness for ovarian cancer

The color of cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment