Monday, February 14, 2011

A different kind of love

This one's more personal than usual, no one will be faulted for not reading it as there will not be a quiz.

----------------

A family is supposed to be a place of unconditional love.

It can take many forms. It can have have a mom and dad, just mom or just dad, two moms or two dads, maybe a grandma and and uncle etc. What makes a family isn't genetics, it's love.

Now one thing I've always commended about most people in successful, tough or failed marriages is that even if their love for their spouse fades away, the vast majority still love their children unconditionally.

I remember as a child going to a friends house and one thing my mom always told me was "No matter what if you need me, just call and I'll come get you." And sometimes I wanted to come home early for no reason (or rather stupid reasons) and no matter what, she came.

Dad was the same way but much busier with work. If I needed something, I got it. Mostly, they supported me and built me up.

I remember bouncing on Dad's belly with Karyn (Karen then lol) and watching Mom play with Rachel and later Mary in pools at the various hotels we hit up on dance competitions. We were no Norman Rockwell painting, but we had some good times.

Going to Skyline as a post-Chrism Mass tradition was a great family and faith building tradition.

When I was a teen and into rebelling a bit, they were still there. When I was wrong I was chastised but they never made me feel unloved, even if I did and said things that would make them want to.

Both my parents through all their troubles managed to put their kids first when I was growing up and I will always remember that.

Today is Valentines Day and it is I think I good time for an announcement of sorts. Nothing special just something that needs to be said.

Ephesians 5:31 says "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and they shall be two in one flesh."

Kelli is my love, my life and my future. She is my family. I love my parents, siblings, grandmas, aunts, uncles and cousins, but Kelli and I are our own family now with our own lives to lead.

We haven't been blessed with kids yet but I hope one day we will be.

When that time comes, I hope to be able to show my kids the unconditional love and support and most of all the kindness that I remember receiving from my parents.

Everyone is thinking about romantic love today, and that's great. But what do you say we all try to remember love of our families as well. Jesus says to forgive each other, not to hold onto bitterness.

The Bible says "Fathers provoke not your children to anger" but that applies to mothers to I think. And children, honor you parents.

Happy Valentines Day everyone. If you love anyone today, let them know.

1 comment:

  1. "Unconditional love" is wrong love. What we really mean when we say unconditional, is that we don't have selfish conditions. But if applied in the true sense of the phrase, it would be wildly out of proportion and crazy. If your kids grew up to be a little Caligula or Hitler or Ted Bundy, you should certainly not hold feelings of love for such a monster. Not necessarily hate, but certainly also not love.

    ReplyDelete