Monday, October 24, 2011

More depressing: Being fat or getting thin?

Working on the weight still. Whatever the last update was is probably the same. We were in a holding pattern, then I gained a few and now I've lost them back. Still got a ways to go.

My company is sending us to Las Vegas in Feb., (same conference they sent us to Texas for in May) which is cool, but another plane ride, and a longer one, doesn't sound fun. I hope to be below 300 by February 1. Last I checked I was at 315.5. I doubt 15 pounds create much seat room, but it's something.

So the title of this blog is an interesting question I think. Sure being obese sucks. I get out of breath easy, I'm sore all the time, I'm at higher risk for every illness that's ever existed etc.

But it also sucks to be trying not to be fat. And while trying, you still have to be fat for a while. So it sucks much worse to be trying to get thin.

Working out leaves me sore for 2 days and the worst part, the WORST part, is just knowing that eating enough to satisfy, or even eating something that tastes good, is impossibly incompatible with the goal of losing weight.

We let the wheels come off the diet for a halloween party at Kelli's brother's house last weekend and it was nice to enjoy a little food, but lord knows how many calories it was.

The diet/meal plan concept thinngy I'm on now has me aiming to eat 1,980 calories a day which in theory could lose me up to two pounds a week.

I eat a tiny breakfast (which is fine with me) and then a truly depressing lunch. Two pieces of bread, 1 slice salami, 1 slice cheese. I also eat 20 unsalted peanuts and a coke zero.

Breakfast and lunch today came out to 655 calories which is on the high side (thicker slice of cheese today) so I have 1,325 calories left for the day and if I exercise, I can gain more. It's like weight watchers but with calories instead of points.

1,325 calories is more than enough for dinner, but if I went out for lunch, or had a decent breakfast, or God forbid had a snack at any point, I overshoot.

So it sucks, but I deem it fair. I got to enjoy way too much food for a decade and if I don't want to feel the consequences, this is the price I pay.

Just felt like venting that.

PREVIEW

Also, I'm kicking around a couple blog ideas, hoping I can pick up the slack in Dungy's absence.

I also think it'd be neat to have some kind of blog crossover event, where we all three choose a similar topic to write about and blog on it, as opposed to just giving bits of our opinion on the original bloggers comments.

Anyway, it's a thought. Time to read a comic book.

4 comments:

  1. "I also think it'd be neat to have some kind of blog crossover event, where we all three choose a similar topic to write about and blog on it, as opposed to just giving bits of our opinion on the original bloggers comments."

    I'm in.

    You thinking that we all write on the same topic, or each cover something different, and release at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same topic. Maybe I'll come up with one later today and see what you guys think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're description of lunch is really depressing. But surely there's a better way to get mileage our of your limited calories.

    If you're limited to one thin slice of each, then why bother with a salami and cheese sandwich at all? It's not filling, and any good taste that you get is fleeting.

    Some diet foods are depressingly lame (like rice cakes), but if you can eat enough to fill up then it's worth it, IMO.

    If given a choice between a bowl of cream of wheat, or half a sausage patty for breakfast, you just gotta take the wheat. It sucks, but it is, after all, a lifestyle change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right after I wrote this we were all given access to mini-burgers that were leftover from some catered event. Irony.

    Today, we've dropped the cheese and added another slice of salami. Who knows what crazy thing I'll do next?

    ReplyDelete