Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Blog Event....and a note on NaNoWriMo

Dungy and Matt, skip down a paragraph. For the rest of you reading this, unless you are interested in the blog crossover event between me, Matt and Dungy, skip down to the NaNoWriMo section.
------------

First, ok, let's drop steps 4 and 5 and just do like we do on the comments.

For our first topic, if I may be so bold as to go first, will have to do with the legal recognition of marriage, but my aim here has little to do with the gay marriage issue but rather some poly-amorous scenario I read about in an advice column. Nevertheless...

Here's the prompt:
By generations of civil, religious and de facto recognition, we know that society can and does regulate the institution of marriage. Sticking with the civil side of things, by what right does the government have authority to regulate such unions? And if they do have the right, why, and how far does their authority extend? If they do not, why.

I suppose a 1,500 word count is a good number for a concise argument, but I'm open to feedback on that.

I say we make the deadline Monday at 1 p.m. One can post early if need be, but we just need to go on the honor code and say no peeking.

Thoughts?

-----------

NANOWRIMO 2011


I still don't have a plot in mind, just a million ideas and probably a theme of religion.

So submitted for your consideration are a couple plot synopses I might go with.

1. Upon this TV
Two friends from college have taken different faith journeys that have led them to become very different. One is an atheist, the other a protestant-leaning Catholic. The way it goes, the two have gone on to become prominent writers/lecturers for their respective causes. When the book starts, they're getting ready for a national TV appearance on an O'Reilly Factor type of show that will pit them against each other. At this point, they haven't spoken in a few years. Story will be told in flashbacks most likely and will not be about who is right, as much as it will be about the concept of civil discourse.


2. Hell's Angel
A fantastical tale of an demon with the worst job of all demons. He can be called/commanded by guardian angels to appear to Christians who are wavering on the faith to witness to them about the reality of hell. It won't end well for him I don't think. If I do this one, it might end up being a series of related theological leaning short stories that total up to novel size. It will most likely seem very preachy because I lack subtlety.

3. Stereotypical coming of age tale
My loose idea for a story here will be about a girl who grows up in the present and is Catholic. No one she knows is Catholic the usual COA novel shit ensues. I decided if I do this one it will be a girl to keep me from trying to make the main character be me.

4. Got an idea? Let me know in the comments here or on facebook. Thanks.

9 comments:

  1. Hah! I wonder who your inspiration was for the atheist in novel #1? Someone handsome, with excellent hygiene, no doubt.

    So <= 1500 words, on the role of govt in civil unions, due by Monday 1PM. Coo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done!

    Now I play the waiting game...

    The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like #1 of course, but do you think the theme of civil discourse will carry for long enough?

    Just an idea to throw out for consideration, no judgment just brainstorming, but what if they were brought back together after years of drifting apart by the death of a mutual friend? And they confront each other with that in the background?

    Or, maybe make the context somehow moral like one of them transgresses in some way that involves both of them.

    Or they reunite to find that both of them aren't adjusting well to the outside world, dealing with wishy-washy plain white-bread normal people.

    OR! OR, they both happen to end up as marine-based law enforcement in Miami, and they end up assigned as partners in a speedboat, and they have to catch a notorious coke smuggler, who escapes onto dry land with 10 kilos raw/uncut, but luckily there's an inlet that runs parallel to the perp's escape route, and the two slap five, which turns into a sort of muscle-bulge-arm-grapple and the Atheist says "Brother, let's rock", and the Catholic smiles a wary, knowing smile and says "I'm getting too old for this shit, man". And then The WHO blares "YEAHHH!!!!" as the speed boat jumps the boat ramp and LANDS RIGHT ON the dude's drug smuggling RV.

    Hah! Run-on sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday around 1PM sounds good to me.

    ---

    I kind of got a vibe of C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" when reading the description of "Hell's Angel," but this could turn out to be an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dungy, I like the moral transgress idea....I see an angle already.

    Matt, yeah I was thinking it's be in the same vane as Screwtape though more of a narrative format.

    Let's cancel No. 3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll throw in one boat chase just for you.

    ReplyDelete