Friday, May 4, 2012

The Seal of Confession

I posted on my other blog a ditty on the seal of confession the Catholic Church and a little bit of how I feel about secular authorities trying to force priests to go against it.

Feel free to read the article and my general thoughts at 1fromthepews.blogspot.com

But as I'm still hoping to attract other readers there, I think we should keep our battle here. Over there I use a little different language than I do here, so bear that in mind.

Summary:
Ireland wants priests to have to divulge information about child sexual abuse if they learn it in confession.

The Church says hell nahs.

I agree.

Confession absolves sins. All repentant sinners deserve mercy. Absolution is needed to be in a state of grace. One must be in a state of grace to go to heaven when they die. Any law that might dissuade a sinner from confessing their sins is bad because of that.

I'm tired....just go read there, but comment here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sympathic to the effort of authorities in Ireland. I understand what they are trying to do and why. The church has a culture of keeping these instances of pedophilia within the clergy "in the family", so to speak. Wanting to keep information out of the hands of the public, and dealing with the situation themselves, often in gross defiance of common sense justice.

    I find that culture absolutely repugnant and abhorrent. And, I suspect that this could be used as justification for further efforts at coverup.

    However, suspicion is not evidence, and the law is the law. This is an established legal protection which clergy members have a right to. Even if it were overturned, enforcement would be pointless since clergy would not risk excommunication in favor of obedience to the law.

    I have no argument to make in counter to your point. Even if I could muster something up, I don't want to. You have convinced me. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we can all share in the belief that criminals, especially those who victimize children, belong in the hands of the police and the courts. That's an end that we can all agree on. However, Ireland should find a different way to meet that end. Smashing through civil liberties is not right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. And any priest that manages to find out anything about abuse outside the confessional has an absolute obligation to report that.

    No crime should ever be concealed, but the seal of the confessional shouldn't be broken.

    ReplyDelete