Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How you can't live, and what we must do

I realized near the conclusion of this blog that it was stupid. It's all over the place, doesn't really make sense and it a little depressing despite it's claims. I recommend that you ignore it but I am posting it anyway since its been a while since my last blog.

--------
Never apologize, never explain.

Those words are often attributed to my favorite author, the late Hunter S. Thompson. It was allegedly some kind of credo of his and by all accounts, he lived that way.

Unless you are very much like HST, and as a matter of policy let's assume you are not, you cannot live by the same process.

The purpose of today's blog is twofold. First, I wish to obliterate a few romantic notions of how to live, and second I want to explain how we must.

There will be noted some clear inconsistencies between this blog and the way I write on theology. This is because I'm not a very good person at combining different facets of my personality and also because I am wildly inconsistent.

Be it from TV, other media, our parents or grandparents, we've all gotten certain ideas into our heads about how things could be. Most of us understand that not all boys will be knights and not all girls will be princesses but we still cling desperately to my favorite statement.

"Wouldn't it be cool if..."

That statement defines my life, and I'm sure many others. Wouldn't it be cool if I had an MLB beat writer job? Wouldn't it be cool if I lost all this weight? Wouldn't it be cool if I could recite Dante's Inferno in Itallian while riding a unicycle in my underwear showing off my newly sculpted calves?

Well, yeah those things would be cool. But to really go after dreams, to really chase down what you think you want, you need a Never Apologize kind of attitude. Most of us aren't all that gifted so relentless persistence coupled with a disregard for others is our only hope.

So forgive the pessimism here, I promise an alternative at the end.

Here are things people say about how to live, and why you can't, or at least why you can't take them seriously.

Seize the Day
Ah yes, better known as Carpe Diem, this phrase has plastered high school chalk boards for generations. There is nothing wrong in premise with this idea, but taking it to heart seems to mean abandoning the shit you need to be doing to go off after something fun or rewarding.
Seize the day if you like, I'm going to work on time so I don't get fired.

Dream big
Also bad advice that isn't wrong in principle. No tangible harm comes to those who dare to dream, but I submit that a path to a happier life comes from avoiding this piece of advice. Dream fun, would be a better bit of advice. Dream of whatever you want if you can, but couple it with the fact that dreams are just that.

Rules are meant to be broken
I don't think your local cops feel that way about speeding, your boss won't feel that way about long lunches and your wife won't feel that way about smoking a cigar in the house. Get over this one fast kids, rules are meant to be followed.

I could go on but I'm finding this tedious to write so it has likely lost your interest already... I'll move on then.

So am I saying aim low, be a sheep and give no thought to opportunity when it knocks?

Almost.

I say aim reasonable, follow shepherds but step aside if they fall off a cliff and keep an eye out for the rare and mysterious opportunity balloon just in case.

I'm choosing to settle from here on out. With the exception of going after my wife, not much of "reaching for the stars" has worked out for me. On the other hand, say giving up on dreams as a reporter for a paycheck and stability has worked out. So from here on out, I settle.

Pioneers and trailblazers are great and society won't move forward without them. But if you want to be one know this.

Pioneers die.
Settlers prosper.

I want enough money to pay my bills. I want a place to live and sleep. I want to continue loving and being loved by my wife, family and friends. I think that's about all.

And this isn't depressing, it's freeing. Adopt this view and be free from the pressure to succeed or attain. I'm not saying cast off your cloaks and cover yourself in ash, I'm just saying take a look at your situation.

Right now.

Is it ok?

Then why push it. We have a finite amount of resources in this world and not enough to go around. If we continue in this economy with the idea of more more more, it just means someone else will have less less less.

Slavery is freedom, war is peace, settling is success

If we all get back in our pods before the robots know we're awake, maybe they'll leave us alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment