Thursday, January 20, 2011

Nothing epic, nothing gained

Ok so I want to thank those of you that gave me blog ideas over on facebook but I've decided not to go with any of them. Sorry. I will however share a link in honor of Matt Payton who showed it to me.

If you ever needed more justification for believing that athletes today deserve every bit of horrible fate that can happen, just read this. Warning, bad language.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/1/19/1943956/the-happy-football-life-of-will-hill

And before we get into it, happy 50th birthday to Dan Kuenneke.

As for today's blog , I'm going to make it up as I go.

I recently finished reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe since I never read it in school. Not a bad book. On top of that I've been thinking a lot about Edgar Allen Poe and today I was reminded of author Neil Gaiman.

All great authors no doubt but it is not a normal thing to have those three dancing around in your head.

Nevertheless there they are. My ego always has me thinking that maybe one day I could be a great and well known author but then there is a common thread among authors such as the ones I mentioned that I lack.

They all knew some of the other greats of their time. Now I love all of you my friends but those of you I know best aren't much into writing. My mom can write, my cousin Katie can write. I know Matt Kilmer and Jacob Thompson can write and who knows maybe between us one of us will one day be published.

Poe knew Washington Irving (Sleepy Hollow), Lewis knew Tolkien (Lord of the Rings) and Gaiman, though harder to judge because he's still arguably in his prime, knows countless other authors. (By the way read Gaiman's "American Gods")

Of course as soon as I typed that I realized that I know Bastien Lecouffe-Deharme and Jennfier Reed. Both talented folk by any definition and both being published for very different works.

I don't know. Maybe in the moment of the present it's hard for one to see greatness around them or in themselves.

I doubt as Lewis and Tolkien sat around talking about their works they thought, "I bet one day someone makes huge moving pictures about our stories that make millions."

When Poe went to Irving for advice he was just another young writer looking for help from a contemporary, not the legend of literature we know.

Still, it's interesting to think that these literary giants were somewhat like us. People with friends working on books that seem to never end...of course they finished and published theirs.

I don't know what the real point of that blog was...sorry. But I do know that I'm lucky to have a group of friends that support my dreams of being a real writer one day as well as those who don't.

Besides even if it isn't me or one of my friends that write The Great American Novel, someone will. With Twilight and the like stuffing bookstore shelves, I just hope someone notices it.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog yesterday, but sadly my time permitted on the computer is soooooooo limited and I cannot post from my phone. Kudos on the previous blog.
    For this one you are correct, the ordinary writers of today, seeking support and encouragement from their contemporaries are the great writers of tomorrow...you, me others. Thankfully, the genres will be varied and perhaps offer more than Twilight. The point is the sky is the limit and you can create your own reality in your novel. Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to submit that Chuck Palahniuk"s "Fight Club" is the definitive Great American Novel of the modern era. Therefore, your prediction has come true. Actually, your prediction has come true several times throughout American history.

    ReplyDelete