Friday, September 23, 2011

An ode to Fall

So a weird thing happened this morning. I got to work really early, (6 something, had to be in at 7) and I was struck with the inspiration to write a poem.

In high school and early in college I fancied myself a poet but I've only written two or three in the last few years. The medium isn't my strong suit as a writer.

Nevertheless, fall is my favorite time of year, and inspiration made me write. My ego makes me share.

Enjoy.

Winter, fall, summer, spring
There's a time for everything
Though if I dare have the gall
I'll make my case alone for fall

The leaves fall down as spirits rise
A sight so pleasing to the eyes
A jacket's worn but not a coat
And that is why fall gets my vote

Winter's snow looks nice as well
Although it makes the roadways hell
Christmas lights are great I guess
But snow-soaked boots make such as mess

Summer, how cherished was it once
Days of freedom, sun, and fruit punch
But as we age, we also sweat
So summer gets our sweet regret

Spring is lovely and so damn close
At times it feels just like fall's ghost
It smells of hope and things to gain
But for my taste, there's too much rain

So back again we come to fall
The greatest season of them all
Of football games and camping trips
Election time and fire pits
Halloween and candy coma
Turkey day's sweet aroma
Christmas deals at every store
All of this and so much more

Winter, fall, summer, spring
There's a time for everything
If it were mine to make the call
Again my friends, I speak for fall

2 comments: