Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Monday's update on a Tuesday (replacing what would have been John's Attempt To Get Less Fat, update 9)

ED NOTE: Post restored. No edits made.

--
So instead of just the fat updates I'm going to call my hiatus over.

I will blog on Monday, except when I don't. I will blog more than that when I feel like it.

I will include weight loss info in the Monday posts at least.

Anyways here's some random personal stuff.

Went to Lincolshire/Buffalo Grove/Palmetto (aka Chicago area) this weekend for a wedding of two great people I have a lot of respect for. They were Kelli's friends first but I think I can say they're my friends too now and I couldn't be happier for them.

Congratulations on your marriage, Brando and Lulu Hall.

Now for the downer. As much as I loved being a part of their wedding, I hated leaving Chicago at 11 (eastern) and driving through the night and rain and literally handing Kelli the truck keys in the parking lot of my job, where I proceeded to put in a full day.

Was it worth it? Yes. Will I ever make a drive like that again? No.

Last, an interesting thing.

Everyone knows exposure to different ideas and beliefs is a way to better understand them. Some argue that book learning on certain things is insufficient and you need to see it firsthand to understand etc. In the Christian world, this shows up in the argument that usually goes "I believed in (item a) for the most part of the experience at (church b) was more spiritual etc."

I had a similar experience this weekend that should be noted.

Brando and Lulu are for lack of a better word non-traditional, non-denominational Christians. They don't worship like your average Joe but they're truly devout. Their friends and families as far as I can tell are also believers.

The night before the wedding I hung out with Brando and his buddies who looked like they walked out of Hot Topic/Vans shoes commercial. They all have product in hair, piercings, tats etc.

Also, they're all Christians.We drank and talked God all night.

At the wedding the officiant, Charlie, a married father who shares my love of deep dish pizza and whose ordination was never fully explained to me, presided very ably and delivered a solid message for both the bride and groom and those in attendance.

Being surrounded by non-Catholic Christians for an entire weekend had three effects on me.

First, I was happily reminded that the word non-denominational doesn't mean lazy, bad Christian. While I'm sure that categorization includes that type, I met a large portion of non-denoms that were to use hyperbole, on fire for the Lord.

I was also reminded that the non-Catholic Christians are in many ways brothers and sisters in arms with the Church, even if they've disowned their parents, metaphorically.

I knew these things already of course, but it's easy for me to get lost in the fray and forget that though they lack the fullness of truth, they are based firmly in it's foundations.

Second, I think now more than ever the Church has a chance to reach them. As readers know, I believe that anyone genuinely seeking the truth of God that tries hard enough and has the chance will be led to the Catholic Church, and these people are desperately seeking.

They're not lost souls, but they haven't found it all yet. They have the Bible, but in many ways it's like having a treasure map without the treasure. They need someone that knows cartography to help them find their way.

And they are not unwilling to hear. We just can't come at them the way we come at Lutherans or Baptists etc. Pure theology won't work. Their central belief seems to be that no one can know everything God knows, and they see Catholics a making that claim.

If we can illustrate the difference between saying we have the fullness of truth, and the fact that we still don't scratch the surface of understanding all that is God, we as a Church can add millions of young Christians to our parishes, saving who knows how many souls.

Third, I've never appreciated the Church so much. It was so great to see so many people under the age of 30 that are madly in love with God, but I saw it in it's context.

They saw God as a hottie. Rocking great looks, seems to be smart and saying all the right things at the club. They're three dates in, and they proposed. They're really willing and serious about making a lifelong commitment.

They know God's eye color and favorite TV show but they don't know God's mom's birthday or how God really feels about the ending of the TV show "Lost."

This is oversimplification of course.

I have to get back to work so I'll cut it off here.

To sum up, glad to see the spirit of God working in so many. Glad to have seen the wedding of two good people. Sad to have driven forever and not slept.

------------
No weight update because I really don't know.

6 comments:

  1. John Stegeman was always a devout Catholic...

    But during a wedding between two friends, John has to spend a night out with some interesting characters. They've got hair gel, piercings and tats. And they're... Christian? [needle scratch]

    Now John's beginning to find that being non-demoninational isn't all it's cracked up to be!

    John Stegeman is - "Rocking on Christ"
    RATED R


    Sorry, couldn't help it.

    All I can say is that those types always creeped me out. Being "on fire for Christ" in any youth oriented way is creepy to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've asked me for further comment, and I, being a merciful lord will oblige.

    I get what you're saying. You've seen protestantism as a rebellion against the True Church, which you still do, but your emphasis has changed. You see that it's not just a wishy-washy degeneration but there are those within the movement that are really enthusiastic about Christ. Still misguided perhaps but there's a lot of potential. I get that.

    Speaking of "enthusiasm", I was reading an interesting bit about the word "enthusiasm" on a blog a while back. The word itself is related to the greek "en theos" or "god within", like God acting within you and inspiring you. Martin Luther was interested in the topic, and being German, there are many words for that phenomenon in the German lexicon. Luther was disgusted with what he saw as unrestrained, dangerous enthusiasm. The kind of religious fervor that extends as far as individuals claiming divine revelation ("The Lord spoke to me in a dream and He wants me to move to Dallas!"). He named this kind of enthusiasm "shwarmen", or swarmen. Like a colony of bees swarming onto something.

    I think it's a good likeness to the modern "Jesus Freak" movement. I'm not judging your friends, since I don't know them. I also don't care about Christians that have long hair, or tattoos or drink, or listen to metal. But there's something kinda wrong with people that compose rock songs that are basically love songs to Jesus. It seems... fanciful. It's lacking a kind of sober restraint and quiet dedication. I dunno. It seems more like an extended infatuation that can't last forever, rather than a deep and abiding commitment that lasts for one's whole life.

    I dunno about the prospect of the Church scooping up these enthusiastic youth. They chose a protestant or non-denominational path for a reason. There's is all about a personal trip, and getting themselves close to God (personal relationship etc). That cardinal virtue of Catholicism (in my estimation) is obedience and service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thought on non-denominational/unaffiliated Christians: I was one. My reason for being so was so that I was free to pursue God without being tied to restrictive dogma. And look where that got me...

    No seriously. Eventually I started to wonder why I went to the trouble of avoiding an organized Church and set of doctrines, if I was going to arbitrarily accept the Christian view of God (and Truth) anyway. Why free yourself to think, but only halfway.

    When I started again from a completely clean slate, I commited myself to truth without faith in God.

    Unaffiliated Christian to free thinker to agnostic to Proud Enemy of Christ. Let that be a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome bit with the movie trailer idea.

    Otherwise, I sort of agree with the infatuation angle.

    I agree about metal, I'm more willing to understand "worship style" songs.

    I do however think the Church has a shot. If you asked every person like the people I talked to to become Catholic, I think you'd get a 100 percent no vote.

    But the people I met are really trying to not just "feel God" they are seeking understanding, explanation as well but in a way that helps them see it themselves etc.

    The Church has lost the perception war worldwide. People see us as you do. We cannot win over "people" but we can win over "persons."

    (Side note: Obedience and service are two virtues, well exemplified by Jesus but shunned by many these days.)

    I think with the right outreach/evangelization that we can show this group the truth, but right now little to no effort seems to be going down on that front.

    As to your next post, I agree that there is real danger of others making, what you know I'd consider, a mistake of rejecting God.

    It is not a far path from denying the authority of God's Church, to denying that God established a Church, to denying God.

    Let it be a lesson indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will come back in a few days most likely.

    ReplyDelete